Tuesday 17 July 2007

BLOODY CHEEK!!!

My book ‘The Toyboy Diaries’ was recently reviewed in The Evening Standard. I was very flattered as I’m sure the Standard has many book choices for its Life & Culture pages and it’s a huge accolade that they chose mine.

HOWEVER, Nirpal Dhaliwal who wrote the piece, has his own agenda, being the dastardly, dumped, ex-husband of Liz Jones who has documented their disastrous marriage over the past few years in The Mail on Sunday, trashing him and his abysmal behaviour on a weekly basis.

He had clearly not read ‘The Toyboy Diaries’ properly nor researched its provenance as glaring inconsistencies and inaccuracies littered ever line of his rambling review.

In order to set the record straight, my memoir was published first and foremost as a book and never began life as a blog. I can cope with being called a ‘lovably whorish great-aunt’ (quite funny, really!) but he peppered his prose with the smuttiest quotes he could find, all out of context and chronology.

My sex life has never been a ‘constant humiliating submission’ – why would I want to live like that? It has been, and still is, a gloriously joyful embrace of hedonism and his comment that all my boyfriends ‘vanished’ on me is guff as I am still in touch with most of them.(I’m sticking my tongue out at you right now, Nirpal!)

He also comments that I write ‘without any inward contemplation’. Everyone who's read ‘The Toyboy Diaries’ appreciates the fact that each romantic episode is related with great depth of feeling and introspection, my emotions honestly described, my soul sensitively bared. Women have derived strength and inspiration from reading it and men admire my openness and the fact that they can learn how to adjust their behaviour wherever necessary to get the best out of their relationships!

Both sexes can relate to the humour, the highs and the lows, and acknowledge with a sympathetic nod the vagaries which dog all single people in their pursuit of love.

Do try and get a life, Nirpal – your review makes you sound like the sad and embittered one…not me!

Oooh! I feel better now...!

No comments: