Friday 20 November 2009

HAVANA WONDERFUL TIME...

My best friend’s gone off to Cuba and I’m feeling a bit spare. I could have gone with her but the time isn’t right as I have ‘stuff’ going on and am also deeply immersed in writing my next novel.

I’m also more than slightly susceptible to anyone who ‘purrs’ at night. Had she committed this most cardinal of all sins and disturbed my precious sleep, I would have had to kill her. Then I would have lost my best friend and my freedom which would have been stupid on both counts.

You see we normally speak every morning to talk about last night and every night to talk about the day ahead. So in her absence, I’ll just have to talk to you instead.

The question I’m posing, after a recent date, is: how much sex is too much sex? And do men ever actually think they’ve had enough? I don’t mean in the post-orgasmic afterglow when they’re either fast asleep or trying to figure out how soon they can leave without seeming rude, but in general terms like: there’s no one special in my life at the moment, so I’ll just switch off until someone comes along. I’m guessing the answer is NO.

Some women can go for months or even years without sex and it doesn’t bother them in the slightest. There’s always the faithful Lapin who loves one unconditionally but with great passion and goes back in its box when one’s had one’s fill.

Women don’t deploy an ‘every seven second’ mechanism whereby whatever they’re doing, they’re also having a mental wank at the same time. When my mind is otherwise occupied, the part of my brain that controls desire cruises on neutral. It’s only when someone comes along and rings my bells that it cranks back into gear again.

I don’t think men have that neutral facility. It’s a design fault, like the one
G-d made when he put the definitive female pulse point in a place inaccessible to the male organ just when it’s needed the most. (Again. . . Hail O Rabbit! – I love thee well!)

Despite our neutral ability, there have also been times when a lover, whoever he may be, has satisfied me sufficiently that the first thought that enters my head is: Thank you very much, you can go home now. I don’t much like room or bed-sharing, which is another reason why I’m writing this in London as opposed to Cuba!

Although I’m partial to a morning cuddle, I haven’t worked out a polite way of asking said lover to piss off and go and sleep in the other room. but to please creep back in when he thinks I’m ready for him next morning.

Had I been discussing all this with my absent friend, she would by now have voiced an opinion, shared some stories and made me laugh. Us girls always enjoy commenting on each other's love lives - it’s aural voyeurism or auralism, if that’s a word, and if it’s not, I’ve just invented it.

So there you have it. Random thoughts. Must go now. I’m trying to organise an End of Year Party for 30 people to include champagne, canapés, a buffet brunch and Hollywood musical film show on a very tight budget. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

2 comments:

Wild Willie o' Orkney said...

That's a very despiteous comment Wendy.(almost as the classic 'boiler suit' Feminist one that 'all men keep their brains in their trousers'.)Some of us do think of other things than copulation you know!
As for the 'problem' of a tactful way to persuade your lover to leave your bed so you can catch up on your beauty sleep - If you can't discuss it beforehand, then don't let him in there in the first place! I don't need to tell you of all people that there are far more exciting places to make love than in bed! (Part of the problem is that it has become part of the vocabulary of sex.)Personally I don't feel at all slighted to take my leave of my lover's bed,(like your friend, I also have apnoea)- but it needs to be done tactfully and graciously - "What time would you like breakfast, darling?" etc.
End of Year celebratory party with a Hollywood musical theme? It HAS to be 'Mamma Mia' doesn't it? Greek food is easy/cheap to produce, and with sufficient champagne/Retsina etc flowing, everyone should have a great time - ENJOY!

Wendy Salisbury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.