Thursday 2 April 2009

ANDALUCIA LA BELLA

I'm currently in Andalucia - my second home. On the coast, the sky is blue, the sea is calm, the palm trees are wafting in the breeze, the sunsets ignite the sky with spectacular displays of fiery red hue and the sweet aroma of orange blossom fills the air around the cobbled square. I'm in heaven!

This morning I travelled up to Sevilla and am staying, as I love to do, at the Alfonso XIII Hotel, an exquisitely romantic location from which to explore this jewel of a city.

I'm here to research a passage for my forthcoming novel, a chapter already written which I need to verify. I enter the vast portal of the world's grandest Gothic cathedral and proceed up the aisle to the Altar Mayor.

A Major Event takes place here and I want to make sure I've got the details right. I make a few amendments, climb the 37,952 steps to the top of the clock tower and admire the splendour spread out below. From here I can see La Maestranza - the bullring - which also features significantly in the book.

Fortuitously, my first toyboy lives nearby - fat and forty now - but keen to meet up. He is a sentimental 'friend' and we pass the afternoon together reminiscing about times gone by, marvelling at the fact that we are still in touch 21 years on from our first encounter that heady New Year's Eve in the Sierra Nevada when he seduced me as the clock struck midnight.

Tomorrow it's back to the Costa to continue editing 'Blood on the Sand'. With the mountains to the right and the Med to the left, inspiration abounds...

3 comments:

Liz said...

Oh Wendy - I'm soooooooo jealous!! Having said all of that, Salcombe is looking pretty damn lovely itself at the moment! The 'gorgeous' people are starting to come down for the Easter break, and the yachts are starting to line up in the harbour. I'm sure we're in for a great couple of weeks.
I hope you have fun and enjoy yourself,
Liz x

Wendy Salisbury said...

Thanks so much Liz! I'm sure you'll have a great Easter break and hope that work goes well and you get lots of custom.

W xx

Wild Wullie said...

Oh you lucky bunny - in Andalucia for Easter! (That's when all the fun starts, for those of you who have never visited that wonderful part of Espana!) Very nostalgic for me also Wendy - up in the caves of Sacromonte just outside Granada, when my 18yr virginity was taken by a 45+ gitano woman ('you always remember the first time'etc...) Don't think I'd dare to go back tho' - I understand the area has changed beyond recognition, and flamenco is now 'big business'.Apparently they've now got a gitano MUSEUM!Oh dear gawd!
Don't forget to ask your old toy boy if he really was sleeping when you climbed atop of him that night!(he's probably forgot himself by now I guess!lol) Have a great hol.x